a case of damp in a window

Our Housing Disrepair Claims Experts are able to support people who have suffered as a result of Landlord negligence.
Call us on 0161 490 8960 so we can provide you with expert legal advice at no cost to you.

Our Houses Disrepair Claims are funded by a  No Win, No Fee agreement. This means there is no financial risk to you.

damp spots on a ceiling

Has your landlord let you down? Have you become ill or injured because of landlord negligence? Is your home not fit to live in?

When can you claim compensation?

You can start court action to claim compensation during your tenancy or up to 6 years after it ends. Disrepair claims can be pursued for a number of reasons, whether you’ve injured yourself because of broken tiles, have developed breathing issues because of mould, or have been put at serious risk because of a boiler fault. If you’ve experienced landlord problems and are living in, or have lived in, a property that was in disrepair, you may be able to make a claim against your landlord.

If you start your claim during your tenancy, you can also ask the court to order your landlord to do repair works. You must have reported the faults/issues to your Landlord in order to take court action for compensation. For this reason you may prefer to start a compensation only claim after your tenancy ends.

What you can claim for

You can make a claim for compensation if repair problems in your home:

  1. made you or someone in your household ill
  2. damaged your belongings
  3. caused you inconvenience
  4. caused you harm or injury

You can also claim compensation if you haven’t been able to use your home in the normal way because of repair problems. Our specialist housing disrepair solicitors are here to help you to use your tenant’s rights to regain any financial loss and ensure your landlord is held accountable for their actions.

Compensation for your belongings

You can claim compensation for items of yours that were damaged or destroyed because of your landlord’s failure to carry out repairs. For example clothing and bedding ruined by mould or furniture damaged by water leaks. You can also claim compensation for your belongings that were damaged or broken by repair work as well as claiming the cost of replacing items that were damaged or destroyed.

Damage to health

You can claim compensation if you or anyone in your household was injured or made ill (or more ill) as a result of the landlord’s failure to carry out repairs. The health problems can be physical or mental. The amount of damages you can claim depends on how ill you were and how long the illness lasted.

If you were unable to work you could claim for loss of earnings and for any extra care you needed.


You can claim compensation if you’ve suffered inconvenience or have not been able to use your home in the normal way as a result of:

  1. the landlord’s failure to repair your home
  2. significant disruption during the repair work

How much compensation you can get depends on the level of disrepair, the rent you pay and the repair problem’s effect on you and your family.

Reduction of rent

You can claim a reduction or refund of rent if you haven’t been able to use part or all of your home because of the disrepair, the amount you can ask for depends on how much of your home can’t be lived in. If you can only use half of your home, the court may decide that your rent should be reduced or refunded by 50%.


What is Housing Disrepair?

Housing disrepair is a general term to cover any issues with broken, defective or unusable parts of your house. This can range from a front door that doesn’t lock to a broken handrail on the stairs. However, disrepair doesn’t cover just broken parts of a house or its contents; it also covers issues like damp, leaks and water damage and any other issues with the property caused by lack of maintenance by your landlord.

The Landlord has to keep in repair, and proper working order, all the installations of the house.  This includes the supply of water, gas, electricity, and also sanitation including basins, sinks, baths etc. In addition, the Landlord should keep in good repair and working order the heating. Failure to do so once reported entitle you to make a claim against them.

Can I make a claim for damp/mould in my property?

If the mould or damp is caused by lack of property maintenance and it states in your tenancy agreement that the Landlord is responsible for the maintenance of your property then you could be entitled to make a claim. However, if the damp is contributed by something that you have affected such as failure to use extractor fans then the case may be more difficult.
If you have damp in your rented house because ventilation is bad due to broken windows or the heating is faulty, or the extractor fans are broken and your landlord hasn’t fixed those issues, then you will be in a strong place to get compensation from your landlord for mould.

I live in Council Housing, can I still make a claim?

Yes, you can. Your local authority or local council is responsible for ensuring your property is safe and habitable just like a private landlord would. They still have a duty of care towards you and the property and can still be held accountable for any disrepair claims.

How much compensation can I claim?

Its really difficult to give an exact amount without knowing the details of your situation. There are a number of different ways to pursue disrepair compensation and we will work with you to tailor your case to suit your specific circumstances and get you maximum compensation.

The main areas you can claim for are –

  • Disturbance or inconvenience
  • Loss of home
  • Compensation for damaged property and belongings
  • Personal injury compensation
  • A rent refund from the landlord
  • Refund for repair work 
a cracked ceiling

Contact one of our legal experts today to discuss your claim. We offer free friendly and professional advice.
Call 0161 490 8960

Our Expert Solicitors Are Here To Help You

stuart mathews
20+ years ex perience with 100% success rate at court.

Stuart Matthews

CEO & Director
paul severs personal injury lawyer wythenshawe
Specialist in Personal Injury and Clincal Negligence Claims

Paul Severs

Solicitor & Director
Shuhenaz Begum
Specialist in winning Road Traffic Accident Claims
Contact us today for a free no obligation discussion

Begin Your Housing Disrepair Claim

Feel free to get in touch with any enquiries and one of our friendly members of staff will get back to you as soon as possible, we are here to help!

Fill out the form to recieve a free and confidential initial consultation. Don’t worry, we never share your information or use it to spam you.